Re: Reworking the GTK+ cdebconf frontend

On Monday 02 July 2007 09:34, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> A reasonable improvement over current situation could prbably be
> setting TRUE a boolean "d-i/keymap_changed" question from within the
> keymap-chooser everytime the console keymap is updated.

This could be an option, but using debconf for this is probably not the
correct solution ("debconf abuse").
Couldn't the frontend "listen" on a named pipe for keyboard change
triggers, or something like that? kbd-chooser could then check if that
pipe exists and write something to that to indicate a keymap change.

Note that as we intend to switch to console-setup, that would have to be
made to support this mechanism too.

Disclaimer: as this is totally outside my scope, the responsibility to
translate this the the correct technical terms and implementation has to
lie with others.

Cheers,
FJP