Re: Installing Debian from a minimal initial cd

On Wed, 2 May 2007, bruno steckelberg wrote:

> I've tried to install debian from a minimal initial cd, but I got no driver
> supor for my SATA HD. the installing program stopped in the instruction:
> module "sd_mod" for SCSI disk support. Does this kind of installation
> support SATA HD's or not?

AFAIK, there are a lot of SATA controllers, and every one of them is
different, so there is no such thing as "SATA support" which ensures
that every SATA disk will work. The kernel included in Debian 4.0 (etch),
however, has a lot more SATA controllers than the one in Debian 3.1 (sarge),
so it's more likely to work if you have a recent computer.

> I've installed Ubuntu without problems. How could I be proceding in order to
> achieve the installation of Debian?

If it does not work, try submitting a detailed bug report (preferably,
without the HTML stuff).

[ Note: I don't speak for debian-boot, I'm a casual reader ]