Re: this ia64/amd64 issue comes up really often.

Op 29-04-2007 om 14:28 schreef Eddy Petri??or:
> Julien BLACHE wrote:
> >
> > Apple machines aren't ia64, they're i386/amd64 machines.
> >
> > So, you used the wrong architecture, grab an i386 or amd64
> > installation media instead.
>
> Maybe we could add a warning in the ia64 images
> when such an image is used on an amd64 machine;

Please elaborate your proposal.

Brainstorm, throw ideas at the community, share ideas.
Feel free.
Don't let you be hinderd, surely not by the rest of this E-mail.

> this ia64/amd64 issue comes up really often.

Less often then plain ignorance.

I also feel sad to see installation reports that say

| Base System Installation Checklist:
| [O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
|
| Initial boot:           [E]
| Detect network card:    [ ]
| Configure network:      [ ]
| Detect CD:              [ ]
| Load installer modules: [ ]
| Detect hard drives:     [ ]
| Partition hard drives:  [ ]
| Install base system:    [ ]
| Clock/timezone setup:   [ ]
| User/password setup:    [ ]
| Install tasks:          [ ]
| Install boot loader:    [ ]
| Overall install:        [ ]
|
| Comments/Problems:
|
| I can not continue with the installation process.

IMNSHO is the best way to fix these issues,
is the sell pre-installed GNU/Linux computers.

Cheers
Geert Stappers