Re: tasksel fails because base-config doesn't add a Debian mirror to /etc/apt/sources.list

On Friday 23 March 2007 20:05, s s wrote:
> Comments/Problems:
> tasksel failed because the /etc/apt/sources.list file written by
> base-config contained references only to the binary installation
> CDs and security.debian.org. Because /etc/apt/sources.list did
> not contain a regular Debian mirror URL, the aptitude command
> executed by tasksel exited with the following error:

This could well be a real issue. However, Etch is on the point to be
released and has, since fairly recently, good support for PPPoE
installations [1]. There is no chance that this will get fixed in Sarge.

(I'm assuming here you are using PPPoE; if you're not, the cause of this
problem is most likely a (temporary?) network configuration or connection
problem when base-config was being run.)

It should be easy enough to manually add an extra source line in
/etc/apt/sources.list to solve the issue.

Thank you for your report, but it looks like a corner case. The issue is
not relevant for Etch and there is no chance it will get fixed in Sarge.

Cheers,
FJP

P.S. Next time, please submit the installation report to the Bug Tracking
System [2] instead of just mailing it to the debian-boot list.

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/apds05.html.en
[2] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s03.html.en#submit-bug