Wrong console characters are after fresh etch install

Hi,

Some facts:

- Target system: VMware Server
- Used the lastest daily netboot build of d-i (2007-02-25)
- Etch expert install
- Pretty default selection: en_US locale, guided part,
  standard system (tasksel), LILO.

I ended up with a working etch system. Though I had to force the
installation of some packages that couldn't be authenticated by issuing the
command "apt-install -y --force-yes libvolume-id0 udev busybox libklibc
klibc-utils initramfs-tools".

Anyway, the real issue are the console characters. The font or encoding is
used to display quotes and or non-standard characters. Most notable with
"dpkg-reconfigure <package>" or "man sudoers". Example excerpt of "man
sudoers":
        User ::= â!â* username â
                 â!â* â%âgroup â
                 â!â* â+ânetgroup â
                 â!â* User_Alias

The characters are wrongly displayed in both a standard putty session
(TERM=xterm) and the console (tty1) using VMware Server Console.

My locale settings (default etch, no modifications):

debian:~# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Did anybody notice this issue as well? Or is it just me?

Thanks in advance,

Durk