Re: Goodbye Microsoft

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 10:00:18PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 07:21:50PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > > Well, I was not addressing Robert himself, I was addressing the whole
> > > d-i team.  Specially taking into account that the contents of the
> > > domain are now hosted in a Debian machine, I think it would be better
> > > if we could agree on a nicer name.

> > Speaking for myself, I personnally think that the name could bring us
> > into problems, yes. More particularly the trademark infrigement could
> > be raised.

> I'm the only accountable for that.  I even added that footnote to make it
> clear that no endorsement by Debian is implied.

> That said, if you think there is a basis for trademark infringement claim,
> please explain it.  AFAICS, it sounds completely impossible to me.

Your website is deriving benefit (attention) from the use of the trademarked
term "Microsoft".  FWIW, to me this looks like a pretty clear-cut case of
trademark infringement, and I would encourage you to get competent legal
advice regarding your local trademark law.

FWIW, even if you're confident that it would not be ruled a trademark
infringement by a court, the dispute policies of most domain registrars
today make it trivial for Microsoft to seize the domain from you.