Re: ppp-udeb testers needed (custom image perpared)

Tammo Block wrote:
> Hello !

Hi Tammo,

> Ups, i did it again. The new image works.

Great!

>> - - in D-I environment
>>  * bad/good login should be detected (good logins are silent)
> Well, sort of. My provider even lets me log in with a wrong password and
> redirects all http to some error message then. The installer doesn't notice
> until the configuration of the mirror and gives error messages about
> unavaliable mirror servers then.  This is of course notexactly a ppp-udeb
> error, but maybe such behavior should be mentioned in the manual ?

Indeed, this seems to be a broken setup, but I would like to be sure. Could
you provide the relevant syslog so I can double check?

>>  * transitory problems when trying to do the inital connection (cable
>> unplugged or PPPoE server down) should be detected
> Sorry. I forgot to test that.

Heh, seems to be point that is easily forgot ;-)

>> - - in the installed system:
>>  * target system boots fine with the PPPoE connection set up correctly
> Yes. Works as expected.

Excellent!

>>  * hosts file and hostname are set correctly
> Yes. BTW what about the domainname ?

Hmm, this is tricky. Some providers offer no domain name via pppoe, but some
do, AFAIK.

Frans, what do you think? Should this be added, too?

>>  * permissions are set correctly on the network configuration files and the
>> ppp configuration files (an output of "ls -lR /etc/ppp" in the target would
>> be appreciated)
> -rw------- 1 root root    56 2006-12-09 17:33 pap-secrets
> -rw------- 1 root root    56 2006-12-09 17:33 chap-secrets
> -rw-r----- 1 root dip     8 2006-11-20 01:10 kppp-options
>
> All other files are world readable  :
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1369 2007-01-24 21:22 provider

That is ok, only the *secrets file contains sensitive information and should
be 600. BTW, What are the permissions of the /etc/ppp/peers/ directory and
files below it?

>>  * lo interface is configured correctly
> Yes.

Excellent!

> kind regards
> Tammo Block

Thank you for the quick and complete test and reply!

- --
Regards,
EddyP