Re: live and install in one CD?

Alle 16:31, martedì 9 gennaio 2007, hai scritto:
> Marco Amadori <marco.amadori@gmail.com> writes:
> > Alle 15:41, lunedì 8 gennaio 2007, Steve McIntyre ha scritto:
> >> There are several possible ways to do this now; the easiest may be to
> >> use the hooks in the latest debian-cd version in svn to add files to
> >> the temporary disc trees at various points. I wouldn't recommend
> >> trying to re-implement the netinst build yourself, tbh - it's quite
> >> complex already..
> >
> > Good point, Attilio Fiandrotti told me that g-i can be compiled to run on
> > X (gtk instead of gtk-directfb), it will be interesting to see how to
> > include that in our live system builds, then we could "clone" ubiquity
> > results via the X g-i and a package preseed took from
> > <media>/casper/filesystem.manifest having the goodies of both worlds
> > without having a different installer (and different features and bug
> > support for the Q.A. team).
>
> So you mean to use the live system to run the g-i and then grab the
> packages somewhere on the DVD/CD or network?

This is my idea, yes.

Ubiquity installer instead seems to copy the rootfs on a partition and then
remove the "live" part and do some finishing touches.

The ubiquity approach could be surely be faster than d-i/g-i but I do not
think we want to support a different way of installing debian besides than
the official one.

--
ESC:wq