Re: Installing on a machine with nvidia RAID

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 16:57, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 16:26, David Goodenough wrote:
> > I have a machine (a Tyan GT24) with two SATA disks, both of which are
> > in raid mirror.
> >
> > Without the RAID setup, the current etch beta installs fine.
> >
> > With RAID however neither GRUB nor LILO seem to like the disks.
>
> That implies that partitioning was not a problem?
> What driver is used with this RAID setup? If this is the kind of setup
> that needs dmraid I'm surprised as Debian Installer does not support
> that.
Yes I think I need dmraid.  Looking at the Debian Installer FAQ there is
reference to using the installer Device Manager.  But I can not find where
I do this.  Does it mean to use LVM, or rather is that function available
from where I would be taken if I went down the LVM route from the
what to partition menu?

There was talk about dmraid as far back as November last year, and
someone (I forget who) talked about including a dmraid udeb.  But I
could not find any reference as to whether this had happened, or what
the planned timescale for its inclusion would be.

> > Grub says it installed to (hd0), but when you boot it clears the screen
> > and just says "GRUB " at the top left and hangs.
> >
> > Lilo will not install, it offers /dev/sdb, /dev/sda1 and other as
> > locations to install itself (note not /dev/sda) and fails on both the
> > specific ones and also of you choose other on /dev/sda.
> >
> > The only HOWTOs on installing Linux on an nVidia RAID system seem to
> > be for Gentoo, and rather ominously talk about requiring a custom
> > kernel.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to install such a machine?
>
> It seems to me the problem here is with the bootloaders and not with the
> installer. I suggest you file bugs against grub and lilo about this and
> work with their maintainers to resolve this.
Reading the talk about dmraid I mentioned above there is support, you
just have to add in some extra parameters to grub (and there was a
patch to include it).  I understand that Ubuntu have already tackled this.

David