Re: Debian on SGI Altix IA-64

On Friday 22 December 2006 01:36, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > If anybody is interested, you can find the CD and a text describing what
> > we did to make it work at:
> >
> > http://rad.bioinfo.ulaval.ca/hardware/altixia64/
>
> I tried to read the document quickly, but it's not really easy to dig
> out which changes would be needed.

The changes are explained in details on this page :
http://rad.bioinfo.ulaval.ca/hardware/altixia64/debianonaltix/

The original message was also posted to debian-ia64 :
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ia64/2006/12/msg00022.html

> It seems that you added some modules. Are these modules
> DFSG-compliant?
>
> If they aren't, I'm afraid that it will be hard to have them on the
> official Debian CD.
>
> If they are.....I'm afraid it is very late now to add them to the
> Debian stock kernel.

They are already in the debian stock kernel, but not on the config used on the
default kernels.

> It appear that your tests were still made with a 2.6.17 kernel....so
> indeed, your only chance for an official support of these machines in
> Debian would be a genuine support of this hardware in the 2.6.18
> kernel that will be used for Etch.

I modified a d-i cd with a 2.6.18 kernel and the procedure is the same. The
most difficult part is to create the modules for ioc4.