Re: about debian installer

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 11:26:11AM +0530, Verule Rameshappa wrote:
> hi,
> i am amol verule from india.i installed d-i package from website.then i
> compiled kernel 2.6.18 version.i got
> linux-image-2.6.18-486_2.6.18-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
> and linux-headers-2.6.18-486_2.6.18-10.00.Custom_i386.deb...
> then whatare next steps to create installable CD?
> is it necessary to store d-i folder in kernel sourse code at the time of
> kernel compilation?
> yours faithfully,
> amol

Hi Amol,

I don't understand.  You shouldn't have to start compiling something
just to install debian.

Here are the steps:

Decide if you want to install the current stable version Sarge, or the
current testing (soon to be stable) Etch.  One of the prime factors is
if the target computer has very new hardware like SATA drives that Sarge
won't support.

Read and have the installation manual available during the install;
print it out if need be.  The following steps are listed in great
detail.

Decide how you want to boot the installer: USB/hd-media, CD, floppy.

Decide if there is any reason __not__ to use the netinst.iso image
(either burned as a CD or copied onto the USB/hd-media).

Download the images you need:  netinst.iso and if you need it the
USB/hd-media or floppy images.  Note: these images are totally different
from .deb files.  If you have a .deb file, its for installing a piece of
software on an already-installed debian system.

Make the media: burn the CD, make the USB stick, make the floppies if
you need them.

Boot the install media and follow the prompts.  This last step is the
actual installation.  From boot up installer to boot up minimal
netinst.iso system takes about 30-60 minutes depending on how long it
takes you to set up the partitions.

There should be no reason to compile anything.

If I've missed something, send more information.

Good luck,

Doug.