Why preseeding with localized values?

Hello!

I wonder about the reason to use localized values to answer preseed
questions as described on

   http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs03.html

I find such a decision rather strange because

- You never know _exactly_ what to put in the preseed file.

- When you change language, some parts of the preceeding may fail because
  the given answers no longer match the expected answers.  Depending on
  the priority of the questions, you might even not notice at all that
  answers to some questions failed.

With such preconditions, creating preceed files looks like a rather
fragile and tedious task to me.

What would be wrong to always use english values for preceeding?  What
am I missing?

My actual problem is to properly preseed tasksel.  I already had

  tasksel tasksel/first multiselect ubuntu-standard, kubuntu-desktop

working as expected.  Then I changed keyboard/language to german, and
it stopped working.  Then I tried

  tasksel tasksel/first multiselect Desktop environment, Standard system

as suggested on

  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/hppa/apcs01.html.de

But that don't work, either.  How do I find out which answers to give?
Searching through the sources of tasksel did not enlightne me at all :-(