Re: Corrupt dpkg database? No kernels found

On Nov 26, 4:20 am, Martin Michlmayr <t...@cyrius.com> wrote:

> I just got an error during the installation because no kernel was
> found.  syslog complained about missing dependencies and advised that
> "apt-get -f install" should be run.  I entered the target and issues
> that command but apt-get segfaulted.  After manually installing a .deb
> with dpkg, apt-get worked fine... this seems like a corrupted dpkg
> database to me.  Has anyone seen this before?  It sounds similar to
> something someone recently mentioned on -mips.  I'm on ARM and several
> test installations in the last few days worked fine.

It turns out that apt segfaults with kernel version 2.6.18-6 (abi 3),
but not with 2.6.18-5 (abi 2) during installation on the Linksys NSLU2.
I tested this by replacing the 2.6.18-6 kernel with a 2.6.18-5 kernel.
I had to compile ext3 and usb disk support into the kernel, but
everything else in the installer image was the same. I haven't figured
out why 2.6.18-5 works and 2.6.18-6 causes apt to segfault, but it
appears that the problem does not lie with apt.

Gordon