Re: Corrupt dpkg database? No kernels found

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 06:36, Gordon Farquharson wrote:
> It looks (to me) like a corrupt pkgcache.bin file is being created when
> apt is first setup during the install [1]. So, here is a wild, probably
> not very well thought out idea. Since this problem has only started
> occurring recently, has something changed in the installation sequence
> that would cause apt to behave in this way, i.e. is it possible that
> the installer is abusing apt in some way ?

I very much doubt that. If that were the case we'd see a lot more
problems.

If you can trace exactly how the pkgcache.bin is broken/corrupt, maybe we
can find something. However, it looks to me that a lot of people are
completely baffled by this issue.

Thanks for all the work you've done on this so far. I think it really
needs someone who can reproduce the issue to trace what's happening.

Cheers,
FJP