Re: Corrupt dpkg database? No kernels found

On Dec 3, 11:00 pm, Frans Pop <elen...@planet.nl> wrote:

> Could this be due to download errors as described in #401435?
>
> To test, does disabling TCP window scaling early in the install help?
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling

I sent a reponse to your message about 9 hours ago, but it hasn't
appeared on the list. Here is a summary of my message.

I disabled TCP window scaling in the daily build (dated 2006-12-04)
initramfs scripts, and instead of the installer stalling at "71%
Updating the list of available packages", it failed with "Unable to
install initramfs-tools" which is where I was before. So, although
disabling TCP window scaling changed something, it didn't fixed the
problem. I'm not convinced that it even did anything, because the
behaviour of the installer has not been consistent from day to day.

There is a new version of apt (0.6.46.3-0.2) that got uploaded
yesterday, but the installer was not able to use it because it hadn't
reached the mirrors. Also, that version of apt was released to fix a
bug on amd64 when running 'apt-get source', so I suspect that it is not
going to fix the problem I am seeing.

I have posted the results of my testing to
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=401263. It seems like
this problem is caused by apt-get creating corrupt package cache files
when initially setup, and I have offered to send copies of these file
to the apt maintainers for analysis. I have had no response yet.

Gordon