Re: d-i runs out of RAM on 32 MB machine with 1 GB hard drive

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 12:31:58PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> writes:
> > This problem can presumbly be fixed by raising the minimum of swap
> > created from 64 to 128.  Since this issue probably affects all
> > systems, I suggest to do this for all recipes, as in the patch below.
> > Comments?
>
> Have you check it 96mb isn't enough? I think it should work and if yes
> would be better since we won't increase the requirement too much.

It seems that the problem is not the size of the swap area itself, but
rather the choice taken by the guided partitioning.

I've manually created:
/dev/sda1 swap
/dev/sda2 / ext3

~ # fdisk -s /dev/sda1
80293
~ # fdisk -s /dev/sda2
923737

And everything works.

The guided partitioning chooses to create:
~ # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 125 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks     Id   System
/dev/sda1            1        1      115     923706     83  Linux Native
/dev/sda2          115      115      125      80325      5  DOS Extended
/dev/sda5          116      116      125      80293+    82  Linux Swap
~ # fdisk -s /dev/sda5
80293

And the creation of an ext3 fs on /dev/sda1 fails due to ssh going out
of memory.

ciao,
    ema