Re: 2.6.18 installer

Alexander Vlasov napisał(a):
Hello.
Hello,

This is quit normal operation, however nowadays I'm stacked with such error:
ALERT! /dev/ram does not exist.... during running new installer kernel but maybe you will fix it since NO ONE has answered my question :(

1) download debian installer iso
2) download new kernel e.g. I use recent 2.6.19rc5
3) unpack kernel to /usr/src/ :
    tar jxf linux-xxx.bz2
4) change to /usr/src/ and create link in /usr/src
   cd /usr/src/; ln -s linux-xxx linux
5) copy kernel config file (2.6 version) from /boot/config-xxxx to /usr/src/linux
     cp /boot/config-xxx   /usr/src/linux/
6) make sure you have: kernel-package, initramfs-tools, fakeroot...if not
   apt-get install kernel-package initramfs-tools fakeroot
7) change directory to /usr/src/linux
   cd /usr/src/linux
8) run
   make menuconfig
9) if you want to add some new modules or something else do it now
10) exit kernel configer - save it
11) run
   fakeroot make-kpkg clean
12) run
   fakeroot make-kpkg --init --append-to-version-.20061116.01 kernel_image
13) go to make some coffee or take a rest ;)
14) after it's done you should have in /usr/src/ new kernel deb
15) change directory:
   cd ../
16) install new kernel into your running system to check if it's OK:
   dpkg -i linux-xxxxxx.20061116.01.deb
17) check grub menu file
   cat /boot/grub/menu.lst - you should have now new entry for your kernel
18) reboot system i use new kernel
19) if it goes OK - first stage DONE

20) create new directory for your debian installer iso file
   mkdir etch-temp
21) mount debian iso file to etch-temp
   mount debian-inxxxx.iso etch-temp -o loop
22) create new directory and copy almost everything from new-etch dir to the new one
   mkdir etch-new;
   rsync -av -H --delete --exclude=TRANS.TBL etch-temp/ etch-new/
23) change directory to etch-new
   cd etch-new
24) this is what I did to add new kernel to debian installer - I simply remove initrd and vmlinuz from install/ - these are from 2.4 kernel - I didn't need them
   rm install/vmlinuz
   rm install/initrd
25) copy previously installed new kernel to install/ directory
   cp /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19xxxxx install/vmlinuz;
   cp /boot/initrd-2.6.19xxxx install/initrd.gz;
26) add new entry into isolinux/isolinux.cfg

LABEL linux29
       kernel /install/vmlinuz
append vga=normal initrd=/install/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=9920 root=/dev/ram rw --

..... you may need to change/increase/decrease ramdisk_size if you added new modules or ....

27) save isolinux/isolinux.cfg
28) create new iso file for debian
mkisofs -o /root/new-etch.iso -r -J -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat .
29) burn such created iso
30) run new etch debian installer
31) after it boots, type:
    linux29
32) look what is happening now .... if you pass
   Begin: Waiting for root file system
and you will not have ALERT! /dev/ram does not exist - you succeeded !!! However I failed on this stage and can't go further :(

But you can try anyway, maybe I did something wrong

Regards,
Marcin

Recently I received a server with Areca arc-1110 sata raid card; as far
as I can see, it's only supported by 2.6.18 kernel.
Can anyone point me to a Hdocument describing how to built custom
install image with 2.6.18 kernel and/or prebuilt netboot/iso with 2.6.18
kernel?

Thanks in advance.