Re: Deactivated languages

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 10:37:52AM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:
> I really, really cannot believe that it's OK to ignore useful und
> non-destructive work from people helping to partipiate in Debian.
> Maybe it't time to open a release critical bug report to this issue ...

Which would be a histrionic abuse of the BTS and would be closed
immediately.

> And the reasons for dropping languages?
>  * Avoiding outdated/obsolete translations? No, not using PO format!
>  * Saving memory? No, we could drop French for this or provide a new
>    infrastructure which just ships compressed PO files and creates
>    .mo files on the fly (maybe also dynamically loaded from the network
>    or a CD). It would not save a lot but a few hundreds kilobytes ...
>  * To force people learning other languages (English)? Probably ...
>  * To support testing these languages? Ahm no, this requires the opposite.
>  * It was requested by many developers or users? Haha!

It is perfectly reasonable to take the position that having an incomplete
translation of the installer for a language is *worse* than not shipping one
at all.  You don't get multiple fallbacks in the installer like you can with
gettext; if the string isn't translated, you're stuck with English, and
English may *not* be the user's second choice -- they might have chosen a
different language had they only known that Debian had done such a poor job
of preparing the installer for their own language.

We are not releasing etch for it to be *tested*, we are releasing it for
*use*.  There is no "early and often" that applies here, whatever we ship in
etch is bound to end up printed on CDs, shipped in magazines, and otherwise
sticking around in a more or less persistent form.  There is no shame at all
in Christian's efforts to help ensure that whatever we ship as the installer
for etch is polished and usable.