Re: your mail about a Broadcom network card

Op 12-11-2006 om 15:45 schreef George Pipkov:
> Hi,
>
> We are having a Dell PowerEdge 2950 server with a Broadcom
> NetXtreme II 5708 network card, but it turned out that the
> Debian Net install CD doesn't have a driver for it.  I
> downloaded the driver source ( a tar archive)  from
> Broadcom's website and I was wondering what would be the
> procedure for installing of Debian using the Net Install
> CD? If this is not possible is there are a way for
> installation using the full CDs?

Debian is about free software, free as in freedom of speech.

> Here is the url for the driver
> http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtremeii.php

Talk to your hardware vendor and ask for GPL versions of drivers.

Chosing another hardware vendor is also something to consider.

Where I do known that I'm not helping the original poster,
I also known that I'm helping him on the long run...

> Thanks,
>
> George

Cheers
Geert Stappers