Re: Dictionaries-common prompts users FIVE times during a default French desktop install

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 04:00:54PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> I normally install in English, but with country selected as Netherlands.
> As no en_NL locale exists, this results in an en_US locale and the system
> is completely set up for English.
>
> However, that does mean that I have:
> debian-installer/language=en
> debian-installer/country=NL
> (And not country=US...)
>
> If I _do_ select US, I do indeed get iamerican as default after
> installation.
>
> So the issue is not that the logic is wrong, the issue that it is
> incomplete for my case: you cannot base the correct dictionary on
> language + country only.
> In the case where the country does not help to make a decision, it would
> be nice to also try to use the country part of the locale, which at that
> time is available in (/target)/etc/default/locale:
>    LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

Seems that some things might have changed in d-i. At some time
(See #263402) I was told that debian-installer/language contains what's
appropriate for the LANGUAGE variable, so things like

  de_DE:de_DE:de:en_GB:en

were expected values, and I assumed that LANG was set after first entry
there along with the encoding info, so I got info from that place. That
way, I expected d-i/language to be something like

  debian-installer/language=en_US:en

which should work, as well as things like in the "de_DE:..." above example.
I do not know if this still how d-i works, or plain english is an exception
where only "en" is written. What is d-i currently doing?

> Is that feasible as a wishlist request?

Of course, if d-i does not set the info I expected in d-i/language and
there is no simpler way to handle this. As a matter of fact
"/etc/default/locale" gives the lang_country info I expected from
d-i/language. When was "/etc/default/locale" introduced? If it is >=sarge,
things are simpler for me, do not have to check if we are upgrading
from <=woody.

> What still confuses me is why I no longer see the questions being asked. I
> _know_ that I would get them a lot and that I would first be asked only
> en_GB and after that en_GB+en_US for ispell.
> Maybe that has to do with the fact that (either or both):
> - d-i (no longer?) propagates the priority set for the installation to
>   the target system;
> - the default priority for debconf was changed from "medium" to "high".
>
> I can come close by installing for en/NL and forcing debconf/priority to
> "medium" for the chroot,

If an exact match is found priority is set to "low" so people looking for
full control see the question, but in case of a fallback like in your
setup it is set to "medium", so what you found is the normal behavior.

> Anyway, I give up trying to reproduce that. If you could look at the
> wishlist I formulated above, that would be really great and sorry for the
> time this has cost everybody. At least we've now gotten a lot of
> testing :-/

And this testing also suggested some possible improvements in
dictionaries-common code. I did not look at the .config code for some time.

--
Agustin