Re: d-i beta3, raid, loop-aes and lvm

Hi Philipp,

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 01:27:41AM +0200, Philipp Engel wrote:
> Am 03.10.2006 um 15:32 schrieb David Härdeman:
> >On Tue, October 3, 2006 15:16, Philipp Engel said:
> >>Is that a bug, or is it just not possible?
> >
> >If memory serves me right, the loop-AES utils do not have support
> >(yet) for automatically setting up the LVM volume after the
> >encrypted  module has been setup. In addition the loop-AES tools
> >lack the initramfs  integration to do the work (in the initramfs)
> >for setting up the root partition.
>
> Max talks about only having to tell partman-lvm that it may consider
> loop devices as valid backing devices. Your description of the
> solution in contrast sounds far more time consuming and
> difficult...:)
> So, can you tell me what's to do?

It is probably both. :-)

David correctly points out that there is no special handling for
LVM on loop-AES devices in the installed system. This could mean that
LVM setup happens before there is a chance to setup loop-AES. The change
to partman-lvm is probably required for partman-crypto to actually offer
this kind of setup, regardless of whether it would work or not. I have
little idea what's actually missing though as I have never tried.

About what can be done: In case you decide to build such a setup
manually, you could take notes of the steps that were required to get a
working setup and all problems you encountered; I think such notes would
be extremely useful for documentation on the wiki or so, but even more
because they would tell us exactly what needs to be done in order to add
support for it to partman-crypto and the loop-aes init scripts.

> I have checked out the source code
> of the debian installer and am currently reading the documentation,
> which is a good amount of text. I will see if I can manage to create
> my own boot disk, that will be an adventure already :)

Good luck. Feel welcome to ask any questions on this list (or off-list
if they concern only loop-AES in the installed system).

cheers,
Max