Re: RFC: countrychooser and IP location

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 05:51:46PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Robert Millan (rmh@aybabtu.com):
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I think it'd be nice if IP location would be used to check user input from
> > country chooser.  The main advantage is that "auto" installs get the right
> > mirror selected.
> >
> > My proposal is to get the iplocation data as soon as we have network, then
> > check it against user input and if different ask the user wether to replace
> > its old country selection (default to yes so that "auto" activates it).
>

> Who will maintain the reference table?

It seems this project is maintaining it for us:

  "Hostip.info is a community-based project to geolocate IP addresses, making
  the database freely available"

I think they also publish the whole database for rsync download.

> Does this *really* answer to a need or do we believe that users are
> unable to know where they're located?

"auto" installs get the right mirror selected instead of an US mirror which
could be nearby or could be in the other side of the world.

As for non-auto installs, Joey pointed out that it could be in choose-mirror to
avoid bothering the user.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot@aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended for
spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.