Re: r40110 - trunk/packages/kbd-chooser/debian

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 00:29, Frans Pop wrote:
> > Note that this currently means that VT2 may get garbled input as that
> > is not set to UTF-8, so the new challenge is how to set that
> > dynamically when the user switches to VT2. It needs to be set
> > dynamically as we don't know when init is run if the installer will
> > use UTF-8 or not. Also, we do not know in the shell what the
> > installer environment is set to.
>
> If anybody knows how to solve this new issue, I'd be much obliged.
> I have checked that only the shell on VT2 from init is affected and
> not shells that are started from within d-i (from the menu, rescue).

Google really helps :-)

The solution is to:
- add an /etc/profile that contains a check for UTF-8 and then does
     echo -ne "\033%G"
  to activate UTF-8 for the terminal
- change the line for VT2 in inittab to
     vc/2::askfirst:-/bin/sh
  to make the terminal get a login shell and thus get /etc/profile
  sourced when the shell is started

I'll implement this later today/night.

Cheers,
FJP