beta3: 2 (small?) problems

Yodel!

Just took the release of beta3 as an opportunity to look at the graphical
installer.

First impression: good graphics.  Doesn't really use the possibilities of a
GUI, though -- the available screen space would allow to do nice things
like an overall progress indicator, or inline help texts etc.  Or ads.
Let's sell ad space in the GUI installer!  I'm not saying the GUI installer
is bad, but it shows that it's just a frontend to the same backend code as
the text installer is.

Two problems occurred:
 * due to unrelated breakage, apt-proxy 404'ed on all packages.  I was using
the netinst image, so the installation of the base system went well, but
there was no indication of the breakage anywhere, the packages were just
not being installed.
 * probably a limitation in grub and not in the installer.  I didn't want to
disturb my work system, so I installed in hda{5,6} on hda4.  Grub failed to
install in the boot sector of hda4 (the extended partition), a thing I
regularly did with lilo.  (Obviously, if it's a grub issue, you'll just
want to ignore this.  I don't care for it strongly, but it was nice to be
able to do it.)

cheers
-- vbi

--