Re: Move of update-grub and grub-install to /usr/sbin

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 06:10:15PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I plan to upload a group of changes to grub and grub-installer to
> move update-grub and grub-install to /usr/sbin/.
>
> For this to happen, my transition plan is described bellow:
>
>  - A new grub package would be uploaded to unstable having a group of
>    wrappers that will call /usr/sbin utilities but warn the user to
>    edit his/her /etc/kernel-img.conf. That keeps backward
>    compatibility with previous kernels and will be in place until Etch
>    is released,
>
>  - A NEWS.Debian entry describing the change in grub would be add too,
>
>  - grub-installer would have a change to don't use full paths in
>    kernel-img.conf entries _but_ this one need to migrate to etch
>    together with linux-2.6 2.6.17-6 OR new installations will be
>    broken.
>
> RM team, is ok to me go forward with it?

I think the above misses the _why_

The announce only mentions the new, the proposed, location.

I'm happy with the removal of the full paths, but not happy with /usr/sbin

Please allow to "grub install" _without_ the filesystem _/usr mounted_.
So either move it to /bin or /sbin, both are mounted when in single user
mode (as mostly used for recovery)

Cheers
Geert Stappers