Persistent network devices in Debian Installer

Hello Marco,

During the last d-i IRC meeting we talked about persistent device naming
for network devices. There was an open question from Joey if the naming
set by udev during the installation was being copied over to the installed
system [1].

<fjp>   We seem to have persistent device naming for network devices.
<waldi> fjp: yes, except s390
<fjp>   Except for open question from joeyh.
<fjp>   joeyh: Did you look into that further?
<fjp>   Propagation from d-i to installed system>
<joeyh> oh yeah on whether d-i udev propigates the names to installed udev?
<joeyh> no, I have not but I don't see what the mechanism would be for it happening
<waldi> fjp: we should drop the devfs rules from udev
<fjp>   waldi: Do you know where the info is stored?
<waldi> fjp: /etc/udev/rules.d/z25*
<fjp>   Hmm. Does udev save previously assigned names there?
<joeyh> yes
<waldi> yes
<maks>  initramfs picks /etc/udev
<fjp>   So we probably need to let post-base-installer.d copy that to the installed system?
<waldi> yes
<waldi> just make the udev udeb do that
<fjp>   maybe it already does...
<joeyh> actually, I think udev-udeb is also missing /lib/udev/write_net_rules
<waldi> uh
<joeyh> and write_cd_rules
<waldi> that have to be fixed

And it seems to me we may also be missing /lib/udev/net.agent.

I understand that persistent device naming is done by /etc/udev/rules.d/z*
files. When I run an installation, I currently only find:
- z20_persistent.rules
- z55_hotplug.rules
And not the z25_* that waldi expected to find there for networking.

Could you please comment on this?

Thanks,
FJP

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=259747;msg=36