[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: which kernel version for etch



On Thursday 27 July 2006 16:19, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > What happened during the Sarge release was that we were aiming all
> > the time to release ASAP. If you do that, you cannot really relax
> > your freeze selectively.
>
> Well, we're definitly not aiming to release all the time. :)

I meant after the base freeze of course. The time from the base freeze 
(including the kernel) to the actual release was very (too?) long. I am 
talking about possibly deciding to relax the base freeze for a while if 
there are major issues that will delay the release anyway.
Of course you'd have to be selective and test very carefully.

> > Maybe the release team should instead say: "OK, we are not going to
> > make the current planned date and looking at the issues it will take
> > at least 3 weeks to fix if all goes well; so let's postpone the
> > release by 2+ months which will allow us switch to a newer kernel".
> > This needs thorough discussion though.
> 
> Well, I think we should discuss that when we are there. I personally
> don't mind to release etch with an kernel that already had an security
> update on security.debian.org, as I know that we will have an
> security-bug-fixed kernel there anyways for the full etch lifecycle,
> minus a few days maybe.

Security updates are not a problem. We can handle that. I was talking 
about a possible update to a new upstream kernel minor release.

Attachment: pgpQmDVOl1JLo.pgp
Description: PGP signature


Reply to: