Re: Debian Installer - Etch Beta 3 release

>On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 10:29:44PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
>> (Please reply only to d-boot and optionally the relevant port list.)
>>
>> Hello d-i porters,
>>
>> Now that 2.6.16-15 kernels have been uploaded to unstable (using a
>> linux-2.6.16 source package), we can start thinking about the Etch
>> Beta 3
>> release of D-I.
>>
>> Currently all architectures, except for arm, have built 2.6.16-15 and
>> it
>> should be available from the mirrors tomorrow.
>>
>> Please rebuild and upload your kernel udeb packages against these new
>> kernel images as soon as possible. Note that there have been some
>> recent
>> changes in kernel-wedge which may affect your builds.
>>
>> Note also that 2.6.17 has been uploaded to unstable as well (currently
>> in
>> NEW). Do _not_ build the kernel udebs against that, but against
>> 2.6.16!
>>
>> If you have a chance to run some tests using daily images after the
>> new
>> kernel udebs have been uploaded, that would be very much appreciated.
>>
>> I will post a more detailed release plan as soon as it is clear when
>> the
>> 2.6.16 kernel packages will migrate to testing. Some information about
>> Beta 3 is already available from [1].
>>
>> If there are any issues for your architecture that we should be aware
>> of,
>> please let us know.
>
>yaboot-installer seems to have a minor bug which make it generate
>yaboot.conf
>file, which are not recognized by ybin and/or cause yaboot to die after
>the
>reboot.
>
>These were the magicboot which ybin doesn't like together with a raw
>install
>(that is, inside a PReP boot partition), like is done on IBM CHRP
>hardware,
>and the yaboot.conf had a line containing just :
>
>device=
>
>which yaboot disliked heavily and thus failed to parse the yaboot.conf
>file,
>and discarded it.
>
>Apart from that, d-i seems to work nicely on the JS21 and probably other
>IBM
>64bit power/powerpc machines, not sure about iseries though.

I just wanted to remind you of yaboot CD booting issue I described in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2006/05/msg00772.html

It's still there in recent D-I daily builds and is valid for recent
and older IBM CHRPs:
7043-150 (604)
7044-270 (POWER3)
9131-52a (POWER5+)

a local rebuild yaboot binary successfully boots from CD.
Re-uploading yaboot should help fixing this issue.

thanks.
 - Christian