Re: cross-installer

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:45:00AM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Holger Levsen wrote:
> > which solution do you think is better? the cross-installer (isnt there
> > one for amd64 already?) or the native installer?
>
> There is currently no cross-installer for amd64 as far as I know.
>
> There is not even a 64-bit kernel flavor in the i386 repository.
> There was one some time ago but it has been discontinued.
>
> I do not think that there is a 'better' solution. Both solutions
> have their place. The amd64 native 64-bit installer should not be
> dropped just because the i386 32-bit installer can be used to
> cross-install amd64. The same is true for the ppc64 case in my opinion.
>
> Anyway, at the moment the native 64-bit installer is the only one
> that works for the ppc64 installation. But it would certainly be
> helpful to get the cross-installation option also implemented.

Another question regarding cross-installation:

Would the cross-installer allow installation across architectures?

Examples Given:
* On a recent Macintosh (powerpc) doing the install
  and take the SCSI-disk to an old Mac (m68k)
* On an AMD64 computer doing the install
  and serve the network-disk to a ARM system.

Cheers
Geert Stappers