Re: Custom partitioning shell script?

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 02:27:57PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 11:23:09PM -0300, Matheus Morais wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On 5/30/06, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:
> > >
> > >I have really simple needs here -- I just want to (effectively) replace
> > >the
> > >entire partitioning phase of installation with a single shell script -- I
> > >need to do all sorts of interesting things with partitioning, but I can
> > >easily write it out.
> >
> > Well, I dont understant precisely what you are trying to do but see if this
> > helps.
>
> Sorry, I should have been more explicit.
>
> Preseeding, in any form I am currently aware of, will not serve my needs.  I
> need to be able to interrogate the machine to work out how I need to
> partition the machine (one disk => LVM, two disks => MD+LVM, for example).
>
> Perhaps there's an undocumented debconf option which partman uses to work
> out "hey, I need to run this script instead", which would be great, but I've
> poked and googled and come up dry on that front.

d-i is a modular design, the obvious answer, is to create a custom .udeb,
which would replace the other partitioning tools. I guess it only needs to
provide the same meta-dependencies as the other partitioning tools, and use a
menu number inferior to the other partitioning tools.

The work is relatively easy, and you can take the nobootloader package as an
example, which is indeed just a simple script with a few debconf stuff needed
to print a user-informing message. I did it from scratch in the begining, and
thus know it is well suited for newbie doing their own scripts.

Simply add it to the image you build should be enough, or add it to a local
copy of your archive. Once d-i gains support for multiple package archives, it
will become easier even.

Alternatively, you could help working on partman until it does what you need,
which is the responsible altough long-termed thing to do.

Friendly,

Sven Luther