Re: [D-I] New strings in partman-lvm: WAIT before translating! I need explanations by maintainers.

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 07:33:49AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
Maintainers, I need explanations for the following:

The remake of partman-lvm is my initiative, so I'm the one to blame :)

Template: partman-lvm/text/pvs
Type: text

In which context is it used?

When a list of volume groups are presented to the user, some stats on each volume group is sometimes included, including the number of physical volumes which the volume group uses. For example:

Please choose a volume group to reduce:

 mainvg        (825MB - 2 PVs)
 secondvg      (912MB - 4 PVs)

Template: partman-lvm/text/lvdelete_invg
Type: text

(seems to be a part of a reconstructed sentence. Is it?)

Similar to the above, it's used to describe which volume group a logical volume belongs to. For example:

Please choose a logical volume to delete:

 rootlv       (825MB - in VG mainvg)
 swaplv       (412MB - in VG secondvg)

I also have concerns for the wording: "Physical Volume" and "Logical
Volume" are capitalized at some places which is typographically
incorrect. I see no reason for an exception here.

I have no objections to lower-casing them.

I also plan to change this:

Template: partman-lvm/mainmenu
Type: select
# LVM main menu choices
# Translators : please use infinitive form or the equivalent
# in your language
# Please keep your translations of the choices
# below a 65 columns limit (which means 65 characters
# in single-byte languages) including the initial path
_Choices: ${CHOICES}
Summary of current LVM configuration:
.
 * Free Physical Volumes:  ${FREE_PVS}
 * Used Physical Volumes:  ${USED_PVS}
 * Volume Groups:          ${VGS}
 * Logical Volumes:        ${LVS}

Incorrect comment.

Ok

Untranslatable "Choices".

The choices are in the partman-lvm/menu/* templates, they should be translatable?

Incorrect enumeration style

Not sure what you mean...

(and waste of space which may lead to wrapped lines).

Is space at such a premium on the main menu screen? The summary is displayed at the top and then the menu choices (which is usually 3 - 5 different actions). For me it all fits without any problems on a 80x25 screen. Even if translated texts are longer, they should have room?

Regards,
David