libdebian-installer Packages support proposal
I got a request from Colin if it is possible to add udeb selection per
frontend. I had to decline this as it will break the ABI.
As I have some pending changes which does that also, I hereby propose
the following which will make it possible to change the ABI of the
Packages reading part of libd-i without affecting all packages.
* Split the whole thing into another shared library (adds 8KiB on i386
for the SO startup code).
* Either don't change the SONAME of libdebian-installer and provide the
old symbols until the next beta as the removal will break existing
* or change the SONAME once.
With this, the following changes can be done easily.
* Support for udebs per frontend.
* Removal of hashmap usage. Replace them with a binary tree.
* Support for more than one version of a package.
There are two possible solutions:
- The package struct get a list of versions.
- The parser is allowed to replace the information of an older version
of a package with a newer.
* Support for reading more than on Packages files.
What kind of love is that? Not to be loved; never to have shown love.
-- Commissioner Nancy Hedford, "Metamorphosis",