Re: partman and installations to MTD (flash)

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 06:50:00PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Flash is getting cheaper and there are now devices which have enough
> flash to install a full blown Debian to it.  My question is how to
> change partman to support installations to flash.  Under Linux, MTD is
> used to access flash: it provides both a block and char device of the
> device.  A file system like JFFS is normally used.  MTD doesn't have
> traditional partitions like disks; in terms of the installer, we
> should probably just take the existing partitions that are recognized
> by the kernel (i.e. you cannot delete or create partitions, or resize
> them).
>
> How can this be handled in partman?

AFAICT is the monolithic nature of partman the problem.
Partman does partitioning, mkfs and matching devices to mountpoints.
If partman would be split in those three parts,
then we can reuse the matching of devices to mountpoints
and do the "partitioning" and "mkfs" elsewhere, e.g. in the "BOOTROM"
of the embedded device.

Another advantage of that split would allow partitioning with other
tools (think "partition magic", "FAI partitioner" or other favorites )

Rigth now it hard to do that and surely hard to do in preseeding.

Cheers
Geert Stappers