Re: HP i2000 IA64 install experience w/3.1 testing

On Friday 28 April 2006 15:50, Hurf Sheldon wrote:
> on IA64 HP i2000 Itanium 733mhz single cpu. using the Debian 3.1
> netinst.iso. "locale"  errors were a problem on all installations.
> Consider this a bug report for the install dialog. Problems were
> experienced with earlier Sarge version and various mirrors.

I'm not going to reply to all the installation attempts. I've personally
no experience with the IA64 port and don't know about issues with Sarge.
Glad though that the current Etch installation worked.

Some of your mirror problems can be explained by the fact that there is a
mirror reorganization going on currently and the installer still reflects
the "old" situation.

> 1: Debian Sarge loaded, we chose "desktop"; the install errored out on
> 2.6 expert saying several packages didn't download  correctly from the
> mirror (debian.lcs.mit.edu)

That is after the reboot then. In that case recovering from the errors
should have been possible without having to reinstall.
Your problems could be either related to the mirror you were using (in
which case switching to a different mirror is pretty easy) or maybe due
to architecture specific bugs in aptitude.

> 3: Downloaded debian-testing-ia64-netinst.iso ( "Etch"?) went through
> expert load
> Was offered only "stable" from ftp.debian.org - (hey, why not?) this

Installing stable using the Etch installer is not really supported.

> How to solve "locale issues "  (After some manual surfing & trial &
> error): Created /etc/locale.gen with 'echo  "en_US UTF-8"
> >/etc/locale.gen' ran `locale-gen`.

The best way is: 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'

> Questions:
> Should the "Locale" stuff be set by the language dialog during the
> install? (Most of the errors were "Couldn't set LC_xxx - file not
> found")

Some errors with locales _during_ the installation are expected. However,
you should not get any errors after the installation.

What language and country did you select exactly at the beginning of the
installation?

If you installed in expert mode with the Etch installer, did you change
any of the defaults in the two questions about locales after that?

What were the contents of /etc/locale.gen and /etc/environment before you
corrected stuff manually (if you can still reproduce that)?

> Are there Debian analogs for Redhat's chkconfig, authconf and
> serviceconf? How do we allow logins from nis users? (ypbind has a
> server but the users and paths are not recognized)

Sorry, these questions are off-topic for the debian-boot list. Please try
debian-user instead.
If needed, you may be able to get some IA64 specific help from the
debian-ia64 mailing list.

Thanks for your report. Next time please consider sending a formal
installation report [1].

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s03.html#submit-bug