Re: note on "2.4 is deprecated"

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 02:14:58PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>  - Debian's userland has *always* supported at least the previous major
>    kernel version, and most often the previous two, or sometimes I
>    think, three major kernel versions.

If for no other reason, upstream release process changes will likely
make this much more difficult.  As I'm sure you know, 2.6 is being
actively developed indefinitely, as opposed to the previous method of
branching off and stabalising a development tree.  Since there is no
existing plan for a 2.8, 2.4 would need to be maintained indefinitely
to continue a major + major-1 support model.

I of course agree with you that there's no reason to preclude
user-built kernels; and we certainly need to maintain the upgrade path.

--
dann frazier