Re: Debian Installer - boot floppies

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 10:42:58AM -0700, Brad Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 06:50:54AM -0500, Colin Watson wrote:
> > >
> > > swim3.ko

> > > No idea. Haven't looked. Based on the email thread, I would say it's
> > > there one way or another. It sounded like the driver was loaded but
> > > there wasn't a node in /dev created to be able to use it.
> >
> > All sounds very plausible, due to the switch to udev. I'm happy to
> > install a workaround in mountfloppy for this, but I have no idea how to
> > detect from userspace that swim3 is being used and that the device
> > should therefore be created. Can anyone help?
>
> My guesses would be to see if the swim3 driver is loaded by looking
> in the lsmod output, or to see if there is a device for it in
> /sys/bus/macio/devices (which there should be even without a proper
> device model driver for swim3). I just don't have a box in the
> condition to try out the installer and see how these look.

Yes, the OF tree, it should provide all the information that is needed, maybe
we should have a discover-like tool which will map the OF device-tree to linux
kernel modules.

> Based on the code, it looks like the driver will not load if there
> is no device, but I'm not sure what that will do if it's not a
> module. I'm also not sure if this is a module or compiled in on
> the default installer kernel.

I believe it is builtin, at least for the miboot flavour, since we need a
kernel with floppy driver to load the root floppy.

Friendly,

Sven Luther