Re: Installing etch from CDROM only

On 4/8/06, Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:
> On Friday 07 April 2006 19:34, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> >
> > Is there any workaround until the bug is fixed?
>
> You can just back out when you get to mirror selection and skip that step
> when you get to the menu.

Sorry Frans, this didn't work... :-(  In fact, it's one of the first
things I tried.

> For apt-setup (which is run just before you get to selecting tasks), a
> sure way to avoid network sources being added to the sources.list for the
> target system is to delete the generators 50mirror and 90security in
> /usr/lib/apt-setup/generators/ before you get to that stage. This will
> make sure that tasksel only uses packages from the CD-ROM.

Cool, and thanks, I didn't know how to manipulate the installation
before.  Will play around with /usr/lib/apt-setup/.

> You will then of course have to add source lines for security support or
> network mirrors manually in the sources.list after the installation is
> finished.

Well, I am advocating Debian Etch on the desktop (with the first three
ISOs + companion which contains other "essential" desktop packages and
some contrib + non free stuff), and most of the users who use CDROM
installs don't have Internet access.  So, if the security sources are
going to be mandatory (wasn't they mandatory at some point of time,
please correct me if I am wrong), these users are going to get hurt
big time.

        Anuradha
--
http://www.linux.lk/~anuradha/