Re: Partman and Multiple Disks

On Monday 03 April 2006 17:36, Michael S. Peek wrote:
> 1) With the Sarge installer, it is currently not possible to preseed
> partman recipes for multiple disks, right?  You can preseed
> partitioning for a single disk, but if you have a second disk you're
> out of luck.  ...Right?

Right.

> 2) Has this changed with etch?

No, although there has been a recent contribution that offers support for
RAID1 in recipes [1].
However, IIUC that is different from what you would like, which is the
option to set up different partitions on different disks.

> I filed a wishlist bug 301426 (or duplicate 301435) but to the best of
> my knowledge nothing ever became of it, so I figured this is just a low
> priority wish for most people.

Well, it mostly just needs someone who is interested enough to work on it,
but I would agree that it is not high priority for active developers.

> Anyway, if etch's partman-auto still can't handle multiple disks, then
> I'm just crazy enough to take a stab at it.  I've got the source tree,
> I've got a printout of "Partition Management for the Debian Installer",
> and I've still got a few brain cells left that haven't burned out...

You are very welcome to do so. Let us know if you need SVN commit access
(we need your alioth for that, so set that up first if you don't yet have
one).

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2006/03/msg00450.html