Re: d-i on serial console with name != ttyS/tts

On Sunday 26 March 2006 8:30 pm, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Rob Landley <rob@landley.net> [2006-03-26 17:40]:
> > > I saw the following problem today: I started debian-installer on a
> > > machine with serial console, the device node /dev/tts/0 got
> > > created
> >
> > Still using devfs names, I see.
>
> Yes, and that won't change soon.  We're using udev on 2.6 though and
> have a devfs compatability schema.  The problem I saw was on 2.6.

There's a "use devfs names" option somewhere.  ("Support for devfs" in the
first menu turns on CONFIG_FEATURE_DEVFS, that's probably it.)

Among other things, that makes init look for devfs names for console and such
by default.  (That's a legacy support feature that will eventually go away,
probably in 1.2.0, but you've got at least a year, maybe as much as three.
We'll move it to a "deprecated" menu for a release before actually removing
it...)

> > I'm confused: what exactly are you trying to do?  (You're using init
> > without an inittab, or...?)
>
> inittab contains:
> ::sysinit:/sbin/debian-installer-startup
> ::respawn:/sbin/debian-installer
>
> vc/2::askfirst:/bin/sh
> vc/3::respawn:/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages
> vc/4::respawn:/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/syslog
>
> ::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown > /dev/null 2>&1
> ::restart:/sbin/init

Ok.

> > The general debain installer people might like svn 14606, which
> > makes it so busybox 1.1.1 doesn't need to have the tty nodes created
> > at the time the inittab is read, but instead checks when it tries to
> > spawn the process on that tty...
> > http://busybox.net/downloads/patches/svn-14606.patch
>
> Oh, great.  I'll give that a try.  This might solve the original
> problem I reported a few weeks ago.

In theory it's in 1.1.1.

> I'll get back to you but it will
> take a while - I'm leaving for holidays soon (actually,should go to
> bed since I've to get up in 2.5 hours again) and then moving to
> another country...

Have fun,

> Thanks for your response!

Rob