Re: rescue grub -- help!

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 08:01:16PM -0800, David Liontooth wrote:
> I cloned a drive, starting with the MBR:
>
>  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc  bs=446 count=1
>
> However, after installing the cloned drive in the new machine, all I get
> is a scrolling GRUB filling the screen. I downloaded an amd64 netboot
> CD, mounted / and /boot in /target, and issued
>
>    chroot /target
>
> Everything in there works fine -- the applications run. (I'm sitting at
> another computer at this point with remote access to the installer). But
> what I was counting on working, namely
>
>    grub-install  /dev/hda

How about grub-install '(hd0)' ?  Does that work?

When cloning a disk, you have to remember the MBR contains block maps of
where on the rest of the disk to read stage2 for grub.  After that it
can read filesystems and doesn't care if files move.  So doing a
grub-install on a drive after messing with the partitions is a good
idea.

Len Sorensen