RFC - Installing (un)stable from full/netinst CDs

Currently if a user installs in expert mode (or medium prio) from a full
or netinst CD (i.e. base is installable from the CD), he will be asked
which suite he wants to install (stable/testing/unstable, with testing as
default).

If the user selects stable or unstable, this will result in the codename
being determined based on this selection (which will overrule the
codename earlier determined on the basis of the Release file on the CD).
So the codename ends up being sarge or sid.

This results in an error during base-installation as there are no sarge or
sid symlinks in /cdrom/dists/.

The question is: what is the best solution here:
1) do not allow the user to select the suite in choose-mirror if the CD
   has /cdrom/.disk/base_installable
2) if a suite was selected that is not on the CD, forget about the CD and
   install from the network instead

My personal preference is 1.

A related issue is possibly that the suite and download location used for
udebs should be frozen somehow as we do not want an installation that was
started using the stable installer to suddenly start using udebs from
testing/unstable.
This is not an issue for daily images (as mirror/udeb/suite is set at
build time), but it is for beta's and the official release.

Should we set mirror/udeb/suite as part of cdrom-retriever or iso-scan
based on what it finds in the CD's Release file?
(I have not checked on similar options for miniiso and floppy.)

Cheers,
FJP