Problem moving Debian Etch onto a Compact Flash card

I am trying to build a small system with no moving parts.  So I bought a
fanless mini-ITX board and a Compact Flash card, with an IDE to CF adapter.

Because the CF is only 256MB Debian etch will not install, so I put an old
1GB IDE disk onto the system, did a base install, removed things like the
man pages and cleaned the APT cache, and then had a system which
would fit into 256MB.  It would be nice to have an option not to install
things like man pages on a small disk, but that is another story.

I installed the base system, and then used a CF to USB adapter to load
the file system onto the CF.  I then used grub to write the MBR, all of
which seemed to go OK.  The partition (partition 1) was formatted as
an EXT3 partition.

Finally I put the CF into the IDE to CF adapter, and attached it to the
IDE cable in place of the disk.

Grub seems to start OK and it loads Linux (2.6.15) but when the kernel
comes to remount the disk it fails.  Where it should recognise the
partition table it comes up with a line (quite properly):-

hda: hda1

but it then repeats it add nausiam.

The fstab and the grub entries all talk about the right drive (/dev/hda
and hd0).

Anyone got any ideas as to how to avoid this and make by CF boot
correctly?

David