Detect HW step UI broken

Hi,

I tested this netinstall ISO image on HP lt6000r/700 Netserver:
grundler <504>ls -l debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso
-rw-r--r--  1 grundler grundler 120643584 2006-03-14 09:03 debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso
grundler <505>md5sum debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso
8213f19c9c7b7b4cd14d4b6e3e704a28  debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso

HP lt6000r/700 Netserver is PIII 700Mhz/2MB cache, 6-way, 2GB RAM,
serverworks/broadcom chipsets, 64-bit/66Mhz PCI slots, and 4 hotplug
Ultra2 SCSI disks.

I had upgraded all the firmware and configured the built-in SCSI controller
to "LVD SCSI" mode (it can be configured as NetRAID too).

(BTW, "Detect Disks" step could not find any disks until I "restored"
the LVD LSI 53c896 BIOS parameters to "default". No clue what was
wrong before.)

The issues with "Detect HW" steps are:
1) enables _all_ drivers to be loaded at each of the three "Detect HW" step.
   System would hang when trying to load VIA IDE driver.
   This box has a serverworks chipset and serverworks IDE driver was
   already loaded.

2) UI hides the drivers that are already loaded. I want to see which
   driver it has already loaded and _only_ those should be marked in
   the list. That way additional drivers can be marked/loaded.

3) UI only presents IDE drivers - no LAN/USB/etc drivers are listed.
   I got the same list for each of the different "Detect Network"
   and "Detect Disks" steps. In "expert mode", I was able to deselect
   _all_ of the drivers manually each time and make forward progress.

udev support will automatically load the correct PCI drivers.
Normally, no other interface drivers need to be loaded.
Some high level drivers (e.g. sd_mod or ide_cd) might need to be
loaded manually.

Base system install completed and then after selecting
"Web Server" in addition to the default option (I forget what it is)
in tasksel, the system locked up completely "76%" of the way into
the install. I then went "manual", reset the machine, rebooted the
CD, did some of the basic steps, entered the shell, "chroot /target"
and finished the install by editing sources.list and
running "dselect" to download/install "testing" bits.
Took three passes of "Install" in dselect until all the packages
were happily installed. Probably would have been better for
you guys if I had specified "etch". Oh well.

BTW, why is 2.6.15-1-686 kernel not offered as an option?
I only saw 386 and 486 kernels on the very first pass.
Since the network is working, can the 686 kernel be offered
as an option as well?
I picked that one up when using dselect and it booted (as expected)
just fine via grub.

hth,
grant