Re: BladeCenter HS20 problem

First of all thank you for your precious answers

2006/3/16, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 10:53:15AM +0100, Jaymix Mr wrote:

> I am having troubles with the installation of Debian Sarge on an IBM
> BladeCenter HS20 with a SAN Boot. I am launching the following command at
> the prompt :

>   expert26 buslogic=iobase

This indicates you're using the sarge version of the installer.  The sarge
release did not include support for the qla2300, due to some unresolved
concerns about its licensing at the time.

Then I guess I don't need this boot parameter ...

Those issues have since been resolved, and qla23xx is again included in the
Debian kernels; it should be possible to install etch on such a system.
However, it's probably worth noting that the stock kernel driver doesn't
support failover unless you use dm-multipath or md/multipath, neither of
which are supported by IBM AIUI.

Well, I will simply say that Debian is not supported by IBM AIUI !
In fact all I need is the stable  branch of the Debian repository. Here, I only see three choices :

 - Install Ubuntu and fall back to Debian (by removing the GUI and all uneeded packages, then changing the source-list to sarge/stable)
 - Install Debian etch/sid which should support qla23xx since Ubuntu does
 - Install Sarge and try to compile the modules from etch/sid and load them from a floppy during Sarge d-i

What do you advice ?

If you specifically want to run sarge on this system rather than etch or
Ubuntu, you would need a custom installer image that includes this kernel
driver.  Perhaps Kenshi Muto's 2.6.15-based images include it
(http://kmuto.jp/b.cgi/debian/d-i-2615.htm); if not, perhaps there's a
chance that qla2xxx can be re-enabled in a future sarge point release.

Kenshi Muto's image doesn't seem to be based on Sarge  The thing is I need the Sarge because I need its repository (more particularly PHP4.4, Apache1.3, ldap3 and some other packages). Well I hope this could be renabled in future versions.

FWIW, I'm also doing some work on a sarge-based BladeCenter install image
for a client that include packages for the RDAC kernel driver, as well as
the IBM-approved OEM version of the QLogic driver; it's possible that I may
be able to make these publically available at some point, if there's
interest.

Actually there is ! I need to be pulling out some sort of install that must be working as well as Suze before the end of today ! Could you please give me some more information about this release since I think it can be rather interesting for quite a lot of people and compagnies I know.

Cheers,

Again thank you for the support,
Best Regards

--
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.