Re: [g-i] Re: TTF font for Georgian

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 11:31:44PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> You don't need udebs for that: you can do it straight from the regular
> debs.

debs usually contain unneeded files: dejavu and freefont, for example,
contain boldoblique fonts which we don't need.

> > I expanded the spellchecker as to compute the list of codepoints needed
> > by every language (see [1], "codepoints" column); from what I've seen
> > in the few days it's been running, the list of codepoints is quite
> > stable.
>
> Hmm. It would very much surprise me if that wasn't the case. After all
> we've been effectively in a string freeze for the release with only some
> changes for partman-crypto happening.

true, but po files contain more than 2000 lines of text which I think
do cover 99% of the glyphs used by the average translation: I might be
wrong by I doubt the set of glyphs will drastically change in the
future because of the introduction of some new strings.

> I'm still not convinced that stripping further than overlapping ranges and
> making sure that only ranges needed for the script that a font is
> supposed to support makes sense. This is where the big savings against
> the current font use are.

also if I'm still convinced about the things I said before, this is very true and
it means we will not have to always keep and eye on the codepoints to make sure
we're not missing some new glyphs.
I think we already have all we need to do proper stripping: we just need working
font files

regards,
Davide