Re: [g-i] Re: TTF font for Georgian

On Saturday 11 March 2006 13:52, Christian Perrier wrote:
> However, keeping the stripping process in our hands has the great
> advantage that rewriting the stripping script will have to be done
> only once instead of being reported to each and every font package.

That is why we have the tarballs, which, if need be, can be kept when g-i
is integrated into d-i (although they should be dropped eventually.

While we are undecided which fonts we want to use, we should use the
tarballs. These give us all the flexibility we need to find the best
solution. Once we know what works for a language, we should file a bug
report against the package providing the font to create the udeb as we
want it.

There's absolutely no need to go back and forth with package maintainers
on this.

So, if anyone wants to write scripts, then write a script to flexibly
regenerate the tarballs with the correct stripping and combination of
fonts (and permissions!), not to strip fonts at build time.
Such a script would need an option to exclude fonts that have already been
packaged correctly.