Re: [g-i] Stripping code in ttf-freefont, do we still need it?

On 3/7/06, Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 March 2006 09:17, Eddy Petrişor wrote:
> > Davide, we should have a discussion related to this issue. How can we
> > do font stripping based _exactly_ on used the ranges in the D-I
> > translations and make this for all used fonts?
>
> Reality check. Translations change and what is in SVN at a certain point
> in time is NOT the same as what glyphs are actually present in
> translations in udebs.

I agree and I am aware of this, but I don't expect the translations to
suddenly start to missing glyphs for a language, so one language will
not display correctly. OTOH, after a while the udeb will have the same
set of unicode points as the SVN trunk.

> udebs change a lot faster than builds of the installer, so stripping down
> to "exactly on used the ranges in the D-I translations" is just not a
> realistic option.

Might be, aking into account that we have string freezes and after a
while the trasnalations will freeze, too.

Another option will be to add unicode points to a common pool and not
remove them only after an express request. So once a unicde point is
used, it will not be removed.

--
Regards,
EddyP