[g-i] Re: TTF font for Georgian

(voluntarily not removing the quoted mail)

Quoting Aiet Kolkhi (aietkolkhi@gmail.com):
> > Aiet, the ery latest version of Freefont by Primoz Peterlin included
> > Georgian glyphs.
> >
> > I made an unofficial package:
> > http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/ttf-freefont
>
> I took a look at the package and it includes the following typefaces:
>
> FreeMono
> FreeSans
> FreeSerif
>
> Each typeface consists of four styles (medium, bold, oblique, boldoblique).
>
> FreeSerif's medium style includes Georgian characters of contemprorary
> Mkdedruli alphabeth used today.
>
> The characters included resemble to Grigolia Typeface, created by
> Georgian typographer Anton Grigolia for offset printing.
>
> The characters are not manually delta-hinted, meaning they will not
> look perfect on small sizes.
>
> But I guess overall quality is ok and can be used as Georgian serif typeface.
>
> As BPG Info-Tech has finally licensed their linux fonts package under
> GPL, I guess we could include BPG Glaho as Serif font, as well as BPG
> Courier as mono design.  We could leave Serif with existing Georgian
> design, or change it with BPG Chveulebrivi.
>
> Will Debian Installer use freefont package for its graphical
> interface, or will it use the ttf-bpg-georgian-fonts package?

It may use any of both.

We have a slight preference for freefont, because it reduces the
number of special cases and the number of packages we may need to
request a udeb for.

However, if the translators insist on using another packaged font, we
can use it...so, in short the call is mostly yours.