Re: Debian Installer - boot floppies

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 11:19:04AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> sven.luther@wanadoo.fr wrote:
>
> >I think that this is not a position acceptable in debian right now, who aims
> >to support many less-supported-arches/subarches, who still struggle to get
> >their main patches into mainline. So i believe it is sane to accept that for
> I think it's not acceptable for Debian to try to support drivers or
> architectures which are unmaintained upstream unless somebody is ready
> to do the work here.
> By saying that these obsolete drivers should be supported anyway you are
> basically requesting other people to spend their time maintaining
> workarounds in their own packages.

Well, we have done this for sarge in a much more extensive way when all we had
was discovery to work with. Udev beeing a very important piece of software
which is the cause of many troubles recently, and given that you are unwilling
to support such backward compatible fixes, i suppose this probably means that
you would be willing to accept a (or various) comaintainers who would be
willing to maintain those workarounds.

All that is asked is that you don't oppose such workaround to be implemented.

Friendly,

Sven Luther