D-I Etch Beta2 - Status update (3)

I've made a complete mess of CD images for Beta2 so far as the result of a
wrong assumption. This means, as some installation reports and comments
have shown, that CD images linked from [1] have been broken since last
Friday.

The good news is that there are now good Beta2 netinst and businesscard CD
test images available from [1]. Note that these are not the regular
etch_d-i or sid_d-i. The correct link for Beta2 images is currently:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/beta2-test-build/

Initial tests using these images for i386 and sparc64 have shown no
problems. Tests for other arches are very much appreciated [2].

This also means that there are no good full CD images available yet.
However, some issues with full CD images have been identified [3] and are
being worked on.

I've also uploaded the (hopefully final) 20060302 build of
debian-installer today which includes the new 2.6.15-7 kernels. It has
been accepted for i386 and so should now start building for all arches.

We will probably have a small further delay in the Beta2 release, but
because no blocking issues have been identified as yet, it looks as if we
can keep it minimal. I'm somewhat reluctant to post hard dates ATM.

I'm very sorry for any confusion. Please blame it on my inexperience as
release manager for d-i and the complexity of the whole process.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
[2] SVN: installer/doc/devel/release-checklist
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2006/03/msg00050.html